Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pumpkin Cheesecake Roll

First off, can I start this post off saying that I did steal this recipe from the "Dukan Diet" Facebook page. Secondly, I was very skeptical of the recipe, mostly because I had never made a regular pumpkin roll. Third, it turned out DELICIOUS!!!


This week has been a good week. I have officially dropped below 150 and am at a firm 147!! 17 pounds away  from my goal weight and 24 pounds down from the biggest I ever was. 


So ignore the yeast and add baking powder. It was Sunday night and I was sleepy. 


Ingredients for the Bread

  • 6Tbs oat bran
  • 1Tbs corn starch
  • 1/2tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 c sweetener/ 4Tbs Truvia
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 4Tbs yogurt
  • 1c pumpkin puree
  • 1Tbs pumpkin pie spice
  • 1tsp vanilla



Preheat oven to 350 F

Mix together all dry ingredients. (I forgot to take a picture of this.. OOPS!)



Add yogurt, yolks, pumpkin and vanilla, mixing well.

Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.

This is mine finished... Peaks hanging high.

Fold whites into batter.. Do not over-fold them because you will break up all the fun little air bubbles you worked so hard to whip up. Or rather you let your mixer work so hard for. Let's face it, we're no Morgan Wilson from Top Chef Desserts!!

Looks promising!! 

Take your spatula and spread the pumpkin/egg white solution and spread evenly on parchment lined jelly roll sheet pan or on aluminum foil if you do not have parchment paper. I did not have parchment paper, I thought I did but it was freezer paper. DO NOT USE FREEZER PAPER, it will melt and ruin everything, I assume that last part but don't test it. Bake for about 15min, or until done. (I ended up baking for about 25 minutes.)


While this is baking and cooling you can relax and then make the cream cheese filling OR you can do what I did and make the filling AND then make batter for a modified Apple Spice inside-out Muffin. Which is way more delicious now that I've modified the recipe, but more on that later. 


Ingredients for Cream Cheese Filling

  • 16 ounces of FF Cream Cheese
  • 1/2 cup splenda (or more to taste)
  • 1tbs of cinnamon (or whatever flavors you want and completely optional)




I opted for some cinnamon and a tad more splenda and changed it up from store brand 10/$10 FF Cream Cheese and splurged for the name brand and it was a GREAT upgrade. 

Here is the bread finished cooking..
 I could still see a lot of the egg whites so don't worry about that!!

I let this bread cook a lot longer than suggested because the tooth pick kept coming out moist. But honestly, I think I could have cooked it for an entire day and it would still be a little moist, I just think that is part of the Oat Brad effect. 

I failed to take a picture of the cream cheese spread out on top of the bread but all you need to do it evenly spread it on top of the bread. Simple enough. 
After you have spread the cream cheese on the bread start rolling the bread like a sleeping bag. Just pinch the one end in and keep going. I used the aluminum foil to help me keep the roll tight, well ha, as tight as you can get it on your first try. It should look a lot better than this but you get the idea. 



So obviously it's not perfect but it's absolutely delicious! I would probably only use 1.5 packages of FF cream cheese next time because it is a lot BUT I love the cream cheese so it's kind of like less is not more, but more is more and that's amazing. So obviously I'm torn. 

Since there is only 6tbs of oat bran you can eat roughly 1/4 of the roll as your oat bran allowance for the day, but only on PV days. 


So on some personal notes... I ate bad chicken on Sunday, well didn't know it was bad until AFTER I had eaten it as leftovers on Monday afternoon. So that sucked. Today I had my appointment with my orthopedic and basically because I have child bearing hips my knee cap is sliding with the tendon. I'm not sure of all of the technical stuff he said but basically I have to wear a brace for awhile and just deal with it until it fixes itself. If it gets worse I get to visit him again and then we'll go from there. Hopefully it won't end up with surgery, HOPEFULLY. Good news is that I get to resume boot camp and do it at my own pace and I'm SO excited for it. It's been such a great experience and I have met some great women. So starting Monday I'm back at it, 3 times a week.... So stay tuned!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment