Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back At It! Dukan Begins


So this is now the second time I've started to write a blog post and then accidentally closed out the blog window. I'm infuriated!!! Okay so a few notes... PS this blog entry is going to be SO long so deal with it.

The rules of Boot Camp-

1. If you're late or forget to turn in your food logs, everyone runs or does some sort of awful cardio.

2. If you don't make time, the time that Mary (our trainer) sets for us to get set into the newest exercise or run, everyone runs or does some sort of awful cardio.

3. Basically anytime one person doesn't follow whatever rule is set that day, everyone is punished. Which sucks and is awesome all at the same time.

Those are basically the rules. So now on to week one of boot camp. My usual schedule is M&W 5:30am and Thurs 5:30pm. My first week due to travel stuff, I did M&W 5:30am and Tues 5:30pm.

Day 1 - I was so amped! I got there at 5:20am ready to go. I got my bag ready the night before. I worked so hard and exhausted every effort to complete boot camp at 110%. When we didn't make time, we ran. When we didn't run hard enough, we ran more. It was not cool at all.

Day 2- I was amped again but forgot to eat before class and honestly it was the hardest class I've ever been in. I had no energy to do anything but I worked as hard as I possibly could and sadly there wasn't much gas in the tank. We ran and did an insane amount of legs. I drove home and literally could barely stay awake at the wheel. I was so exhausted.

Day 3 - Oh my goodness I don't think I've ever been so sore and had to do legs... AGAIN. I don't know that I've ever worked my legs as hard as I did these 2 days in a row. Needless to say, I was friggin exhausted. Wanted to die right then and there.

So the remainder of the week I struggled to walk in my heels and stand up or sit down. Now most wouldn't think too much of that but I drink a LOT of water, like a gallon a day of water sometimes mixed with diet coke or coffee or both. So getting myself to and from the bathroom was pretty awful. Wednesday night I could barely put the Lazy Boy "legs" back down. Mind you, as I'm dying of being sore and exhausted I'm supposed to be getting my house ready for my mom to visit and Nick's parents to visit. Luckily Nick is amazing and did a good clean up of the house for me so I could just rest. I mean even my back was sore because my legs were so tight, it was a terrible combination.

So Saturday I started feeling even worse in my back so I stretched a bit more than I usually do and even took some Motrin because I figured it was swollen muscles, well it wasn't. I ended up going to the emergency room around 5am on Sunday morning because I still hadn't fallen asleep because I was in so much pain and really all I could think of was "last time I was in this much pain I ended up in the hospital for 5 days with a terrible kidney infection" So with that thought in mind I woke my mom and Nick up and they carted me to the ER where they doped me up and sent me home with a kidney infection. Luckily my body gave the infection the middle finger so quickly that I was able to avoid any serious infection or hospital time, just had to rest and relax and spoil the remainder of my mom's visit. Luckily we got one good day in together before I started to poop out. So fast forward to Monday, I skipped boot camp for the entire week because honestly I just didn't have the energy and I know that last time I did too much too soon and ended up sick again shortly after my original hospital stint. I was determined to avoid that. Apparently I'm growing up, learning from past experiences, and taking care of myself. It only took me 27 years...

Now over the weekend I decided to make a change in my eating habits that started this Monday, 3 days ago to be specific. My mom gave me a book called "The Dukan Diet" a few months back and she actually started that diet and seriously, I hate how skinny she is because it just makes me jealous. But I read the book a few months ago and decided I wasn't ready to make the leap just yet. Recently I just haven't been making the best decisions when it comes to food and talked to Nick about doing this "diet" with me and he agreed. I hesitate to call it a diet because it really isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change and not as restrictive as you would think a diet is. I mean in the beginning it's pretty restrictive but at the same time it's not. During my attack phase, which is 3 days long, I'm only allowed to eat from a few categories but there is SO much to choose from in the categories. It's high protein, low fat during the attack phase; thankfully it's only 3 days long!

The second phase begins tomorrow and I get to add most veggies back into my diet and I'm so excited for that, I love veggies! I can eat as much as I want within the certain restraints I've been given but truthfully I'm okay with that because once I finish all 4 phases I can really eat whatever I want for the rest of my life as long as I abide by 2 rules. 1. Once a week, the same day each week, I eat only protein (phase 1) foods. 2. Every day I have 3 tablespoons of oat bran. Other than that there are no restrictions but it's also not saying go and eat cupcakes every day and expect to be skinny. You still want to focus on eating a low fat diet but with so many things available that are low fat, it's not that hard to accomplish these tasks. Regardless coupling this lifestyle change with boot camp should yield some amazing results and hopefully continue to give me the motivation to stay fit.

Okay, I'm almost done, I promise!! This week I returned back to boot camp and again I was ready to rumble!!

Day 1 - Back at it! I got up early, took my pre-packed lunch and breakfast with me all ready to take on the day with my workout and new "diet" foods. On my way I was eating my breakfast which was my delicious vanilla greek yogurt with oat bran mixed it... SIKE, it totally wasn't vanilla. It was plain greek yogurt and my body just HATES it. I had to force myself to choke it down because I HAD to eat before working out or I'd probably just die. I don't think I've ever been so upset about eating something in my whole life. Well who knows, but it's been years. I can almost always stomach things I don't really care for but this time I was literally holding it down and forcing myself to eat it. Pathetic I know. Anyways...... Got to boot camp and we had to run, YAY. I felt a little out of shape but overall felt good. Got into our groups and then had to run becuase we didn't make time. Apparently we started late but who knows, I start when Mary says to, didn't realize she waited for us to get ready. So we did 3 suicides after our first initial run, not that awesome but great cardio. (Sidenote, all of our suicides are uphill) Then we got into our groups for circuit weight training. My group, not me personally, but my group didn't make time 3 times in a row so we did football style Down/Ups with a jump at the end. I was less than pleased. We did bi's, tri's, and shoulders then ended the day with abs, my least favorite thing ever because I have never had ab muscles but I did increase my sit ups by 11. We do as many as we can in a minute but they have to be good reps or they don't count. Yay accountablility. :) Left feeling really good and wasn't as sore as I thought I'd be. Phew!

Day 2 - Today - I was very leery of today because last night I didn't sleep that well and didn't get into bed early enough so I ended up with less than 6 hours of sleep. Lucky for me, I felt alright and still do. We started this morning out with a nice 1.5mile timed run, I finished mine in under 15 minutes but don't know my official time yet. Luckily the run is uphill to begin with and finishes downhill so it really helps you with your pace. Today was legs, I was pretty scared but knew that it couldn't be nearly as bad as the 2 days back to back. I also think we got off a little easy because one of the groups takes about 5 sets of weights when everyone else takes 2 so we ran out of weights for one of the exercises. We did circuit exercises and made time almost every time until the very last circuit. We have 4 different groups, 1-4, 1 being the most fit and 4 the least, groups 1 & 2 had to run a long sprint up hill and back, half of the group did not make time so as a lovely punishment we had to do a 3 touch suicide directly after finishing. Groups 3 & 4 got to go rest, those lucky dogs. My hamstrings were unbelievably tight though, I thougth I was going to injure myself doing some of the exercises because they were so tight. Luckily I survived!!


So there is my super long update. I have not proof read this yes so I have no idea if any of it even makes sense. Feedback is always welcome. I'll be back in a few days to update again.


1 comment:

  1. To increase the strength and size of your muscles, look no further than creatine, the best way to gain abs exercise. The positive effects and benefits of creatine supplementation are widely known and there are few, if any, potential side effects.

    ReplyDelete